Saturday, March 1, 2008

Audio/Video: Video

I looked at all the different video providers and one could certainly spend a lot of time surfing and watching different videos. I know that it is said by librarians that YouTube and similar services should be integrated on library website as how-to tools and that there are many valuable videos on these sites. Well, maybe but are these sites really used for that purpose? I've spent an afternoon now on these sites and when looking at the popular videos or the videos that are currently being watched, not ONE was/is an educational one. They are all about stupid pet tricks or people doing some stunts. So, if a library were to add YouTube to their website I believe their videos would have to have an entertainment value to be watched. Maybe a storytime could be featured. Or a book talk. Or a program. I did searches on all the different sites on how to tie a tie. All gave me good results with some giving me some very raunchy results! I didn't think "how to tie a tie" could be interpreted in any way other than what I meant but boy, was I wrong...ANYWAY, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQHX-SjgQvQ

The video I watched and thoroughly enjoyed is the medieval help desk one. It's in Norwegian (with English subtitles). It is absolutely hilarious and well worth the 3 minutes it takes to watch! It reminds me a lot of my work in my previous library as an automation librarian...

No comments: